Sunday, March 15, 2015

Facts about the Daily Rickshaw Driver's Life

          Hello everyone my name is Sabriya Zaman, and I am on the Delaware/Pennsylvania team.
I want to explain to everyone what the daily life of a rickshaw driver looks like. My everyday schedule is nothing compared to what they have to go through everyday, that's why I feel lucky that I have the life I have. Anyways, going back to the information....I warn ahead of time that some of this information is a tad outdated, and if you have any questions just comment and I'll try to figured something out!

                 On an average, a rickshaw puller works for about 12 hours a day! Of course they most likely have bathroom breaks and lunch breaks like we do in school or work, but that's still very tiring! Imagine if you had to go to school for 12 hours and then come back and try to finish your chores and possibly other extracurricular activities. Likewise, the rickshaw driver might have a family that he needs to see and spend time with as well. Also, on average the pay for pulling each person is only 100 rps, which is equivalent to $1.60 {again like I said, some of this is outdated, and on different sights it says different things!}. You might be thinking 'That's a lot since there are soooo many people in Bangladesh.', But that's not necessarily true. They are in competition with a lot of other workers who have the same job. It's like Apple and Samsung. They have similar product, yet they try to sell over top one another. It's COMPETITION. And anyways, even if the rickshaw pullers do get a decent amount of money, most of it is just going back to the people they are renting rickshaws from! That's not fair, right? So that's why everyone in the 101 Rickshaw Project wants to help this cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment